Why The Virtues Campus?
College is a time of great transition. Students enter as youth and leave as adults, often asking questions, testing inherited values, and exploring ideas. Unfortunately, the trends are not stacking up in their favor. High school graduates declare a lack of purpose and sense of drift, the accumulation of college debt delays their choice of when to marry or purchase a home, and repeated studies show many are walking away from their Christian faith. The Virtues Campus is here to engage with this generation and reverse these trends. Rethinking education!
To reestablish the local church as an educational center of the community by partnering with universities in offering degrees at an affordable cost to students and imparting VERITAS (God's Truth) to the next generation.
The Virtues Campus is an educational Christian ministry whose purpose is to equip churches across the nation to double up as college classrooms Monday - Friday and to offer students a faith-integrated affordable college education. Students enroll in online college courses while meeting on campus to learn, grow, and serve together. Each campus is led by a trained academic pastor who provides oversight, teaching, and guidance.
THE VIRTUES CAMPUS integrates education, character and service by:
- Creating a Christ-centered community for students to engage with their peers
- Offering an excellent, affordable, education through online learning with regionally accredited colleges
- Fostering career-readiness through local internships
- Promoting godly character and preparing students for responsible citizenship in a free society
- Inviting host congregations to come along side of students through mentoring and encouragement
Our Confession of Faith
THE VIRTUES CAMPUS AFFIRMS:
- The unity of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit in the Godhead.
- The sovereignty of God in creation, revelation, redemption and final judgment.
- The Divine inspiration of the Holy Scriptures as originally given and its supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct.
- The universal sinfulness and guilt of human nature since the fall, rendering all human beings subject to God's wrath and condemnation.
- The full deity of the Lord Jesus Christ, the incarnate Son of God; his virgin birth and his real and sinless humanity; his death on the cross, his bodily resurrection and his present reign in heaven and earth.
- Redemption from the guilt, penalty and power of sin only through the sacrificial death once and for all time of our representative and substitute, Jesus Christ, the only mediator between God and humanity.
- Justification as God's act of undeserved mercy, in which the sinner is pardoned of all his or her sins and accepted as righteous in God's sight only because of the imputed righteousness of Christ, this justification being received by faith alone.
- The need for the Holy Spirit to make the work of Christ effective in the individual, granting the sinner repentance towards God and faith in Jesus Christ.
- The indwelling of the Holy Spirit in all those thus regenerated producing in them an increasing likeness to Christ in character and behavior and empowering them for their witness in the world.
- The one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church, which is the Body of Christ, and to which all true believers belong.
- The future personal return of the Lord Jesus Christ, who will judge all people, receiving the redeemed to eternal glory and executing God's just condemnation on the impenitent.
- The marriage union of one man and one woman as a God-ordained institution blessed by God and that sexual activity belongs exclusively within the boundaries of that relationship.
- That in order to know truth, one needs to study the book of God’s words (Scriptures) and the book of God’s works (nature) through the God-given faculty of reason.
Virtues Incorporated had its beginning in October 2013 when a small group of Minnesota Twin Cities’ pastors and church and business leaders came together to consider a new idea ~ that local churches become centers of college education in America. This vision for bringing the university and local church together was first fleshed out by Vishal Mangalwadi, author, philosopher, lecturer, and social reformer, in his book, Truth and Transformation. As the vision marinated, these leaders sensed that God was moving to address a critical need in America today.
In early America the Church birthed many great universities that trained future leaders and citizens in the Truth of the Scriptures. Today, the majority of those universities are robbing the next generation of God’s Truth. While there are many fine Christian colleges and universities, high tuition costs are either prohibiting students from attending or saddling them with enormous debt.
These leaders wrestled with the questions:
• Can we sit idly by when most of the great universities the Church built in America’s early years are now robbing the church of 70% of her students?
• Is there a way to make Christ-centered education affordable and accessible to all?
Out of those questions came an agreement to launch what would become known as Virtues Inc.
A Founder’s Breakfast in mid-summer of 2014 was attended by some 30 business leaders and church leaders. A slate of Board of Trustees members and officers was presented, accepted, and the decision made to incorporate. In August, Cheri Frame was retained as Director of Program Development and Rev. Dr. David Glesne was called as acting President. He resigned his position as a senior pastor in February 2015, and became full-time President. Administrative offices for Virtues Inc. were then established at Redeemer Lutheran Church in Coon Rapids, Minnesota.
Virtues invites you to make Our Story a part of your story. We invite you to keep up to date by signing up for our newsletter. We invite you to pray and financially support the foundation of this education initiative. We invite you to consider becoming a host church site for a Virtues Campus in your community. Of course, we invite you to become a student!